Finally, after nearly five months in the oven, for some unknown reason, Combat Mission Cold War makes its way to Steam, in a move that, hopefully, will bring new eyes and renew interest in the franchise. This most recent entry in the prestigious franchise simulates the “what if” skirmishes between US and Soviet forces around the Fulda Gap. It will come with 15 standalone scenarios and 3 full-length campaigns. One will take players into the Mojave Desert in 1982 to train. The second will zoom in on the 2nd Bn TF of the 28th Infantry Regiment in the southern flank of the Fulda Strategic Corridor. The third will feature the Soviets, with players taking charge of the 120th Motor Rifle Regiment in the first 48 hours of the invasion.
Here’s what you can expect:
- Take command of either US or Soviet tactical formations, centering on the Company Team or Battalion Task Force between 1979 to 1982.
- Tactical formations include highly detailed, historically accurate organizations, equipment and modeling of weapons effects that is second-to-none within the wargaming industry.
- Full suite of era-accurate tanks and mechanized infantry fighting vehicles, including many not available in any other Combat Mission franchise: (M48, M60 series of tanks, M150 TOW, M1 (105), T64, and T80, etc.
- Full suite of aircraft effects modeled on legendary platforms such as the iconic US F-4 Phantom and A-7 Corsair.
- Scenarios range from small platoon-based actions to large Battalion battles.
- The Soviets bring with them their service workhorses, the infamous Mig-23/27, the Su-17, the rare but powerful Su-25 Frogfoot, and the well-known Mi-24 series gunship, including the first “Hind A” version and the famous “Hind D.
- Combat Mission Cold War also includes new and reoccurring battlefield innovations such as the introduction of Single and Dual-Purpose Improved Cluster Munitions delivered by both air and artillery support.
- The early days of electronic warfare is modeled giving players a sense of the impact an encroaching digital age would have on warfare
Combat Mission Cold War is available right now and it will cost you $49.99 or your regional equivalent. If you already own previous titles from Battlefront on Steam then Combat Mission is 20% off, going down to $39,99. Pretty sweet deal.